Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Miss Cleo and the Sacred Whore


Every once in awhile, I'll peruse sites like eros-guide to get a sense of who's advertising and what's out there. I won't directly link to a particular ad here, because that might be in bad taste, but I want to provide a few examples of something that *really* gets my goat.

Now, I want to preface this mini-rant by stating that I don't disbelieve in the healing power of positive sexual energies or tantra. I am, however, very skeptical of repackaged new age practices being sold for a specific $$$ value.

You can certainly be a spiritual ho or an erotic masseuse with a gentle touch, but I raise an eyebrow at every porcelain-skinned 24-year-old named Vishnu who charges $300 an hour for her "goddess body" and "healing touch." I don't think that every Vishnu and Aphrodite on the web is a total hack, but I am reminded of the old Miss Cleo commercials that were eventually pulled from tv.

No comments: