Friday, July 18, 2008

Hella Barbarella


Cozied up yesterday with a bowl of popcorn (and a box of tampons) and enjoyed a personal movie night. Thanks to an amazing local video store, I’m finally seeing the offbeat flicks that have been on my “to-watch” list for years. Last night was Barbarella night, and I’ve been riding a tripped out wave of thigh-hi go-go boots and shag carpeting ever since. Seriously, I think Jane Fonda circa 1968 just revolutionized my wardrobe.

I also learned (and I’m sure this is old news by now) that a remake is currently in pre-production, which has left me a bit depressed but not the least bit surprised. Why is it that we need to see *every* good movie again, revamped and generally ruined by an astronomical budget, "all star" cast, and updated special effects? It's rather bogus, and it's ruining the aura of timelessness that I associate with classic cinema. Ah, well...I will continue this boycott with microwaveable popcorn and faux nostalgia, but I fear the day (and I know it's just around the corner) that remakes of movies made during my lifetime begin to appear.

No comments: